The new PMI Solo and String Quartet Program is an extended program designed for advanced string students, grades 6-12, who wish to further enhance their musical experience. An emphasis is placed on chamber music, private lessons and performance opportunities. This program includes the orchestral component, the PMI Core Program.
Non Hawaii residents will be given time to enjoy the unparalleled and inspiring beauty of Hawaii.
Led by program director Ignace “Iggy” Jang, the students are encouraged to thrive under the guidance of a nurturing faculty.
APPLY ONLINE HERE!
- Focus on solo and chamber music repertoire
- Private lessons
- Inspiring faculty
- For string students, grades 6-12
- Side-by-side with professionals chamber music performances
- Concerto Competitions for the opportunity to perform with a string orchestra
- Recreational activities (not included in tuition)
- Application deadline: April 16, 2018. Late applications are still being accepted, however please email us first to check on availability.
- Questions? Send us an email!
Idyllically located, PMI Solo & String Quartet Program is set in one of the world’s most unique and inspiring setting, the island of Oahu, home of Honolulu. Hawaii‘s capital is the State’s urban hub, rich in history and famous for its scenic beauty, from Waikiki to the North Shore’s Sunset Beach.
Classes, meals and boarding for non-residents are held on the campus of the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, in Honolulu.
The program will run Sunday July 1 to Sunday July 15, 2018 (travel days excluded). July 1-6 includes the Solo & String Quartet session only, while July 6 - 15 includes both the PMI core and SSQ sessions.
- April 16, 2018: late applications are still being accepted, however please email us first to check on availability.
The concertmaster of the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra and faculty member at the University of Hawai‘i and Punahou School, Ignace “Iggy” Jang has been dedicating much of his time to education. A teacher with a sense of humor, his motto can be found in his favorite book, St. Exupéry’s The Little Prince: “It is the time you have lost for your flower that makes her so important.” Jang ran the String Program at the Hawaii Performing Arts Festival from 2011 to 2016.
- 8:30 am: Practice or private lessons
- 10:00 am: Chamber music coaching
- 12:00 noon: Lunch
- 1:00 pm: Masterclasses / Group Lessons / PMI Core
- 3:00: Recreation / PMI Core
- 5:45 pm: Dinner / Parent pickup
- 7:00 pm: Rehearsals / Performances / Recreation / Parent pickup
Please note: students committed to regular summer school will be scheduled accordingly
2018 String Faculty*
Please check out our faculty page for more information
GaHyun Cho - Violin
Eugene Chukhlov - Violin & Viola
Ignace Jang - Solo & String Quartet Program Director
Khullip Jeung - Violin
Jisun Kang - Violin
Helen Liu - Violin
Colin Belisle - Viola
Igor Veligan - Viola
Parry Karp - Cello
* Subject to change
TUITION AND FEES:
Please note: tuition and fees include both the PMI Core and SSQ Programs
Non Hawaii residents students may choose to board at Hale Alohal, on the campus of the University of Hawai'i at Manoa, an 8-minute walk from the music department. Students age 14 and younger must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian.
- Room & Board: $1,500
- Check-in Saturday June 30, check-out Monday July 16
- Double Room accommodations
- Includes daily cafeteria meal swipes, group ground transportation, chaperones.
To apply for on-campus boarding, visit our Dormitory Lodging page.
To apply to the PMI Solo & String Quartet Program, APPLY ONLINE HERE.
Applicants will be redirected to our partner Acceptd application page, where they will be able to fill out the registration form and upload media files.
The audition's purpose is to facilitate group assignment. No prior string quartet experience is necessary; if you haven't played chamber music before, we encourage you to apply!
Please note: the SSQ Program INCLUDES the orchestral component, aka PMI Core Program. You only need to apply once!
For students wishing to apply for on-campus boarding, please visit our Dormitory Lodging page.
Questions? Send us an email!